The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline launched nationwide on July 16. Similar to dialing 911 for medical emergencies, people in emotional distress or suicidal crisis can call or text 988 and be connected immediately to trained counselors who will listen, provide support and connect people to resources if necessary.
The three-digit dialing code is new, but the Lifeline is not. Previously known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, callers only reached the 24/7 national crisis hotline by dialing 1-800-273-8255 (TALK). The easy-to-remember dialing code (988) is meant to replace that number; however, callers will still be connected to the same services, regardless of which number is used. The Lifeline provides services in both English and Spanish.
Just as Americans know to call 911 in a medical emergency, it’s vital to spread the word about 988. This new three-digit dialing code could provide immediate support during someone’s darkest hour.
- Safety Tips to Beat The Heat
- Warning Signs of Heat-Related Illnesses
- A great option for a fresh summer salad: Cucumber Salad with Tomatoes
- Get healthy recipes, motivational quotes, and first access to prize giveaways by following HealthCheck360 on social media! Follow us now.
- You now have access to all of 2022’s coaching webinars! Our health coaches are diving into a new topic every month and sharing their tips and expertise with you! Register for all of our upcoming webinars today.