To get our team moving, I send out two activity reminders each day. Taking the time to add physical movement is important in maintaining health, especially when working in an environment that is pretty sedentary. Like you, we have different work related tasks to do and deadlines to meet. But if we’re able to, we take a minute (literally, we spend no more than 1 - 2 minutes on these) to get in a quick stretch or a few exercises before moving on to the next project. It gets the blood flowing and improves mental clarity.
Here are some ways you can keep your employees moving throughout the day, without spending a lot of time or effort. Try adding a couple of these to the start of a meeting, at shift changes, or, when on-the-go.
Your neck and spine have been supporting you all day…time to give them some love!
- Inhale while tilting your head back. Exhale forward
- Inhale your gaze to the right. Exhale forward. Inhale gaze to the left. Exhale forward
- Inhale your head to the right. Exhale to center. Inhale your head to the left. Exhale to center
- Repeat cycle two-three times
- Extend your arm in front of you with your palm facing up
- With your free hand, hold the fingers of extended hand and gently bend your hand back towards the floor
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Repeat cycle 2-3 times for each hand
- Stand with your feet should-width apart
- Take a step forward with your right foot, while at the same time dropping your left knee to the floor
- Push off with your left foot to raise up out of the lunge and meet your left foot next to your right foot
- Repeat cycle 10 times for both legs
Alternating Toe Touches
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms extended out to the side, even when your shoulders
- Bend at the waist and reach your left hand toward your right foot
- Return to your starting position and repeat for the other side
- Shoot for three sets of 10 on each side
- Stand with your feet together and arms at your side
- In a slow, steady motion, raise your arms outward so that your arms are parallel to the floor and even with your shoulders
- Hold for 3 seconds and return to your starting position
- Repeat 5 times
These are all great ways to help get active while at work! Share these with your employees and wellness champions. Post them around the office or shop floor. Encourage your people to spend a minute or two throughout the day to move their bodies.
I like to send the team a quote each day as well. In case they are not able to get in the exercise, I hope that they find this as a refreshing addition to carry with them during the day.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.”
Mixing up your day with a few healthy habits can completely change your, and your employee's experience at work. Staying active by trying a few of the exercises above, stretching to release tension, or repeating a mantra to keep a positive mindset are all great ways to build a culture of wellness in the workplace!
Want some more exercise tips? Check out our April Coaching Webinar. It's all about well-rounded workouts.
If you and your co-workers try any of these exercises, drop us a line or send photos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We'd love to hear from you!
Finally, if you want to learn more about our approach to wellness, check out our website. We are motivated by a passion for what works.