We all know how frustrating a long night of tossing and turning can be. Filling your body will the right foods can do wonders for your shut eye! Check out these seven sleep promoting healthy foods.
- Bananas: Bananas contain tryptophan which turns into melatonin - the hormone that produces sleepiness. Try having a banana for your evening snack.
- Tuna: Tuna or fish such as salmon contain high amounts of vitamin B6 which helps produce the sleepy hormone melatonin. Try incorporating more fish into your dinners for better sleep.
- Cherries: Cherries provide a natural source of melatonin so have a handful an hour before bedtime.
- Lettuce: Lettuce has lactucarium, which contains sedative like properties to help you feel sleepy. A healthy evening salad is a great choice to help you sleep better tonight.
- Almonds: Almonds provide a dose of magnesium, which promotes sleep and muscles relaxation. Grab a handful for an evening snack.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal provides calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium – all sleep promoting nutrients. Try a small bowl of oatmeal in the evening.
- Eggs: Eggs are a good source of tryptophan which will provide melatonin to promote sleep. Try snacking on a hard-boiled egg in the evening to help catch those Zzz’s!