It's true! Getting the recommended amount of physical activity every day doesn’t have to be a chore. An easy way to make exercise fun for the whole family is by getting outside. Being active outdoors is a great way for you to reconnect with nature and stay healthy.
Perks of Exploring Nature:
Exercising in nature has been proven to improve mental and physical health, including:
- A boost of Vitamin D
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Improved immune and cognitive functions
- Stress relief
- Better sleep
Ideas to Get Active and Outdoors!
- Go for A Walk: Go for a walk around the block after work or dinner to get your heart pumping. Ask your colleagues to move the meeting from a conference room to an outdoor walking meeting to get steps in throughout the day.
- Take A Hike: Improve your heart health by grabbing a friend and heading out for a hike! Check out this website to find a hiking trail near you.
- Ride Your Bike: Riding a bike helps improve balance and endurance. It's also a family-friendly activity that everyone can enjoy. Consider biking to work or school to sneak in some extra exercise during the week.
- Swimming: This low-impact activity burns more calories per hour than almost any other activity, and has been shown to improve strength, flexibility and cardiovascular health.
- Sports: This is an easy one to forget that includes such a wide range of options. Below are just a few options that allow you to connect with the outdoors while getting active!
- Pick-up game of basketball
- Beach volleyball
- Baseball or softball
If you are spending more than an hour or two outside, don't forget to pack a water bottle and sunscreen.
Want more free tips like this? Subscribe to our blog at the top of this page to get fun, easy well-being tips delivered right to your inbox. AND, check out our upcoming coaching webinars.