I'm always searching for new ways to sneak vegetables into my day. While a side of carrots and hummus at lunch and roasted broccoli at dinner are always a great option, there's something exciting about eating a serving of vegetables for breakfast. It's a great way to start the day and set the intention of making healthy choices going forward.
This Breakfast Salad with Avocado and Egg is a nutritious and delicious alternative to a quick bowl of sugary cereal. This recipe, originally found in Better Homes & Gardens, has leafy greens, packed protein, and healthy fats. Click here for the original recipe or follow along below for the step-by-step instructions.
Breakfast Salad with Avocado and Egg
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- 1/2 cup of basil or dill
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemon for juice and zest
- 1 avocado
- 6 cups & 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 2 heads of lettuce
- 1 3/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Desired number of eggs
- Dressing. Combine parsley, basil, and garlic in a food processor or chop and combine well. Add lemon zest and juice, half avocado, olive oil, water, salt, and pepper.
- Salad. Chop the remaining avocado. Shave carrots into ribbons. Combine lettuce, radish, avocado, and carrot with dressing.
- Poached Egg. After boiling 6 cups of water and vinegar, reduce the heat to simmer. One at a time, slip eggs into the water for 3 to 5 minutes or until egg whites are set. Remove from water and place on salad.